Repair diary Sinclair C5 - Page 13:Saturday, 10. of October 2009:
I am Iron Man!As mentioned before I purchased me an own welding apparatus.
And after some practice with scrap metal I finally went about a new gear hub mounting today:
Thursday, 31. of December 2009:
Gear hub mounting finishedOh my. Where to start with?
I must admit: it's been a long time since I wrote about the project status.
But meantime I managed to solve many problems and made progress with work.
To cut a long story short:
- The new gear hub mounting is finished (finally!). Massive steel shapes, strong, stable and unfortunaltely also very weigthy.
- The disc brake has been mounted and fitted barely in the remainig space.
- To protect the disc from stone edges I attached a keel made of steel below it.
- The control box had to replaced a bit above the previous location.
- There are now 3 brakes: the disc brake on the left rear wheel, the front wheel brake and the drum brake on the rear right wheel. The last two are controlled by a common handle bar.
Today I went about another problem: like I mentioned before, the gear transmission ratio with the intermediate gear hub wasn't right anymore. I had many gears to drive downhill but none for ascending routes.
I searched all bicycle shops near and far and the internet for a suitable smaller bevel - but found none.
The problem is, that with all available - dam! someone knows the word for "Tretgarnitur" in English? - that with all available bevels with pedals the distance between pedal and bevel is too small. If you use such a bevel-pedal-combination with the C5 the cain will rub against the C5 body.
Since I found nowhere a fitting bevel I made a do-it-yourself solution today: I welded a small bevel (30 teeth) on the original bevel.
Don't know if this will resist the forces during pedaling - but for now this solution is good enough for me.
Repair diary: table of contents
- Page 1Prelude
- Page 1A new project
- Page 2Demounting and first problems
- Page 2Fighting with steering bar
- Page 3Exhumation of a motor
- Page 3Let there be light!
- Page 4The "ant cave"
- Page 4Rust, rust, rust
- Page 5Sanding, sanding, sanding
- Page 5Sanding the brake attachment
- Page 6Sanding the frame
- Page 6Front wheel dismounted and sanded
- Page 6A soap opera
- Page 7Finished with sanding the frame, painted the wheel fork
- Page 7Frame and wheel fork painted
- Page 8Painted the wheel fork once again, front wheel ball-bearings cleaned
- Page 8Ball-bearings from the Titanic
- Page 9A Puky gives its life
- Page 9An electric toothbrush with some real power
- Page 10Back to work!
- Page 10Gear hub mounting
- Page 10Chain and other things
- Page 11Reflector stripes, assembly, new problems
- Page 11Trailer hitch and more
- Page 12I am frustrated!
- Page 12Puky is cannibalised again
- Page 13I am Iron Man!
- Page 13Gear hub mounting finished
- Page 14Front wheel rim made of steel
- Page 14Make it street legal